Monday 29 March 2010

Cask Ale Week

It's Cask Ale Week. It's about good beer, cask beer, real ale, whatever (thanks Adrian). It's a week that is a celebration of one of our finest British foodstuffs, and so what I want you all to do is stop reading this blog, writing your blog, watching Glee on the iPlayer (whatever Glee and the iPlayer might be, I'm not quite sure), and go to the pub and drink some cask ale. And be thankful.

I'm as guilty as anyone of not promoting cask ale, but in my defence, I do run one of the best beer shops in the UK, and consequently am more of a bottled beer man. But I do love good beer in all of its forms, and one of its most unusual, exciting forms is that of cask ale.

I'm sure you know this, but cask ale is a uniquely British product. On paper, it's lunacy: it's an unfinished food product that is turned over to a pub landlord to complete. If you've ever seen Michael Jackson's "The Beer Hunter" TV series, you'll know that he makes the same point while interviewing Mark Dorber, then of the legendary White Horse on Parson's Green. Part of the skill of cellaring beer to peak condition is what makes a good landlord, a good pub, and happy customers.

Good cask ale has a completely unique taste and texture. It's live, unfiltered, and refermented in the vessel from which it is finally dispensed. Served at cellar temperature (10 to 12 degrees Celsius), and with a gentle prickle of natural carbonation, there is nothing like it. Done right, it should be cool, refreshing and moreish.

Of course, the brighter amongst you will have spotted a problem. As an unfinished product, there are various things that can go wrong with it. Cask ale isn't a magic bullet, and it doesn't guarantee good beer. There are many filtered and kegged (or bottled) beers that can kick the arse of poorly kept cask ale. Like any artisanal food product, it needs to be treated right to get the best out of it.

There we are. Do what you must: join CAMRA: buy the Good Beer Guide: visit Cask Marque: read the Cask Ale Week website. But above all, go out and drink some cask beer.






.

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I support cask ale 52 weeks a year. Does that count? (-;

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does indeed, Tandleman - I'm a dabbler compared to you, but it still feels god to wave the flag every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do we have to Zak? What we if just prefer cheap lout?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark - I'm confused, do you mean 'yoke'? Or have I got egg on my face again?

    Cookie - I don't care what you prefer, you MUST go and drink a pint of cask ale and blog about it. It'll be good practice for when you do your guest spot for Badger. Failing that, perhaps you might maintain a respectful silence for the week?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob - I've just added you to my blog list - I thought I already had, but clearly not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the boss Zak, I shall neck some pong and blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cookie - remember to go to a pub to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe the modern phrase is 'my bad', although I may have spelt that wrong in a hurry as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zak,

    I've just posted my blog about Real Ale Week - are you still happy to add me to your roll call?

    http://theormskirkbaron.blogspot.com/2010/03/cask-ale-week-baron-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baron, I'm sorry, but I've sacked the roll-call off - to be frank, I didn't want it to turn into a big circle-jerk.

    But I love your take on writing for cask ale week - we should all have our beer delivered like that, preferably by a milkman-style service first thing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sacked it off? after I went and had a pint of the stuff? bring it back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry Cookie - look on it as some sort of cruel April Fool, or the first step on the road to Damascus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i really love the idea of getting ale delivered by the milkman, wonder if he does bacon butties too?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification - the blog was getting spammed to bits.